GMDSS GOC (STCW A-IV/2)
This course was designed to meet the requirements of STCW section IV/2 and is based on the guidelines of IMO Model Course 1.25 and this course covers the training recommended in annex 3 to IMO Assembly resolution A.703 (17) – recommendation on Training of Radio Operator’s related to the General Operator’s Certificate (GOC).
Every person in charge of/or performing radio duties on a ship that is required to participate in the GMDSS is required to hold an appropriate certificate related to the GMDSS, which satisfies the provisions of the Radio Regulations of the International Telecommunication Union. The GOC permits the holder to operate the radio installation on board any vessel operating in any Sea Area, with additional responsibility for equipment testing and undertaking any emergency communications.
A trainee successfully completing this course and passing the prescribed examination will be enabled to efficiently operate the GMDSS equipment and to have primary responsibility for radio-communications during distress incidents. Training will also be provided in techniques to avoid the unintentional transmission of false distress alerts and the procedures to use in order to mitigate the effects of false distress alerts following unintentional transmission.
- Statutory framework of the Maritime Mobile Service
- Identification of radio stations
- Service publication
- GMDSS Components
- Portable survival equipment – EPIRB, SART, AIS-SART, Handheld VHF.
- Distress communications and logkeeping.
- Other system used on board
- Role and methods of use of ship reporting system
- Miscellaneous skills and operational procedures for general
- Candidate must be above 18 years
- COC certifications
- Posses Valid Seafarer Medical
- Valid Means of Identification
- 2 Recent Photographs
The training course is design to provide basic knowledge and competency.