OFFICER OF THE ENGINEERING WATCH (OOW) NCV
The officer in charge of an engineering watch (00EW) on ships powered by main propulsion machinery of between 750KW and 3000KW propulsion power is a course aimed at providing the requisite minimum knowledge, understanding and proficiency prescribed in STCW Reg. III/3 and relevant aspects of A. III/3 of the STCW’95 code (as amended).
The course objectives are to provide the detailed knowledge required to achieve learning outcomes in the following key functional areas namely;
- Marine Engineering at the Operational Level
- Electrical, electronic and control engineering at the operational level.
- Maintenance and repair at the operational level.
- Control the operation of the ship and care for persons on board at the operational level.
The learning objectives expected are:
- Maintaining a safe engineering watch.
- Operational main and auxiliary machinery and associated control systems.
- Operating fuel, lubrication, ballast and other pumping systems and associated control systems.
- Knowledge of the ships electrical engineering and electronics.
- Safety requirements for working on electrical tasks.
- Control engineering
- Power distribution systems. Etc.
- Motor Engineering
- General Engineering
- Naval Architecture
- Electro – Technicians
- Candidates must have attained the age of 18years or above
- Must hold a valid medical certificate of fitness to engage in seafaring career.
- Must have completed an approved sea-going experience approved by the Administration (NIMASA) for not less than 36 months.
- Must have COC certifications, trade certifications (BSc, HND) and STCW Training certifications
- Must hold eligibility certification from the Agency NIMASA.
The training course is design to provide basic knowledge and competency.