This course covers the comprehensive competencies required to become a responsible and effective mess man working onboard in commercial and/or passenger vessels serving the international trade. The modules enumerated below shall be given appropriate time allocation both for a lecture or theoretical preparation and for practical application of the competencies.
The specific shipboard operational activities identified in this course shall prepare the trainees to perform and deliver the necessary skills and competencies needed for the safe operation of vessels and for the protection of
the marine environment as well. The coverage of the course duly conforms to the requirements & standards laid down in Regulation 3.2 (Food and Catering) of the Maritime Labour Convention 2006.
After completing the course the candidates should be able to acquire the knowledge, skills and attitude for the respective unit of basic, common and core competencies intended for the Ship Cook position on board ship
- Candidate must be above 18 years
- Posses Valid Seafarer Medical
- Valid Means of Identification
- 2 Recent Photographs
- The Messman
- Proper Hygiene and Sanitation
- Safe Working Procedures on Galley
- Food Service Procedures
- Good Housekeeping
- Basic d and Menu Planning
- Basic Bread and Cake Baking
- Qualification and Attitude in the Profession
- Observing Personal Hygiene
- Practising Food Safety, Sanitation and Hygiene
- Protecting Marine Environment/ Waste Segregation Management
- Performing mess hall service
- Providing assistance in receiving and storing provisions and supplies.
The training course is design to provide basic knowledge and competency.